Looking for a great recipe for an organic and gluten free breakfast, well, if you can’t visit our gluten free and organic restaurant in San Francisco, this is a great way to use those organic veggies and eggs!
- 6-8 large local farm fresh brown eggs (the more eggs you use, fluffier and thicker the frittata)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, quartered and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with a small pinch of salt, red pepper flakes and basil. Set aside.
- In a 8 to 9 inch oven-safe, cast iron skillet or oven-safe non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over a medium-high heat, make sure you get the olive oil all up the sides using a brush or some wax paper, etc.
- Add the onion and celery, with a dash of salt, sauté about 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the zucchini and squash, toss around and sauté about 8-10 minutes, until they are tender.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften and get tender.
- If there is any water sitting in the pan from the veggies, pour it off. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower the heat and add the egg mixture to the skillet by pouring over the veggies and giving it all a really quick stir to combine.
- Cook over a medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are just set and there isn’t a lot of liquid running around the pan. To do this, run a spatula underneath the sides of the frittata and tilt the pan so the uncooked eggs run to the underside and cook.
- Place the skillet in the center of your preheated oven. Allow to bake for 13-15 minutes, until it is golden brown, well set and puffy.
- Remove from oven, let cool for several minutes, cut into wedges and serve.